Chiropractic is a primary healthcare profession that specialises in the diagnosis, treatment and overall management of conditions that are due to problems with the joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerves related to the spine and back.
Our 3 step approach to chiropractic care
1. Pain Relief: Treatment to reduce joint stiffness, muscle spasm, nerve irritation and inflammation related to the back and neck all help to relieve your pain. Initially treatment is 1-2 sessions per week until your pain is significantly better. Ice packs may be suggested in order to reduce inflammation and stretching exercises recommended to help improve mobility.
2. Rehabilitation Care: When your pain is mostly relieved our next goal is to restore strength and coordination to muscles and to maintain mobility in the joints previously treated. This should help you return to your normal activities without the pain returning. Treatments are now less frequent, often every 2-4 weeks. Different exercises and activities are recommended to strengthen weakened areas. If these are continued until the full healing of your muscles and soft tissues has occurred, a relapse is much less likely.
3. Maintenance Care: Ensures that once better you stay that way. Through check-ups every 2-6 months any changes in your muscles and joints can be detected and corrected before you start to experience pain and discomfort. We think prevention is better than cure.
We will ask for a great deal of information about your condition(s), past medical history, overall health and your lifestyle. We listen closely to your answers to build up a detailed picture of the problem.
Once your case history is complete we perform a full examination including orthopedic and neurological testing in order to diagnose the underlying problem.
Before starting treatment we will discuss what is wrong with you, what can be done about it and what you should expect when you receive your first adjustment. You will most likely be told about changes to your lifestyle or diet that may be beneficial so that you can help yourself. A part of getting better is up to you, so please follow any instructions and advice carefully and completely.
We encourage you to ask us as many questions as you need, to be sure you understand and are comfortable with the approach outlined prior to giving your permission to proceed with treatment.
Chiropractic treatment mainly involves safe, often gentle, specific spinal manipulation to free joints in the spine or other related areas of the body that are not moving properly. This helps to restore mobility, alleviates pain and tightness so that damaged areas can heal. It is an all natural, non-invasive, safe and effective way of reaching your optimal health.
During manipulation it is normal to hear a clicking, or popping, noise which is the sound of bubbles of gas popping in the fluid of the joint as the pressure is released. Some patients have mild reactions such as temporary aches and pains after being manipulated as the body adjusts. Others report an increased feeling of well being. Reaction is individual.
In addition to the manipulation, the treatment often involves other therapies including soft tissue techniques and application of ice or heat. As required we will also provide advice on exercise, self-help, diet and lifestyle.
It is highly likely that we will ask you to take some ownership of your treatment plan by doing things differently in your normal environment when you are away from the clinic. This might be as simple as changing the way you sit at your desk or changing your sleeping position.
Ongoing well being/maintenance treatment
There is no doubt that many patients benefit from regular chiropractic care at intervals of time that may vary, depending on factors such as the condition for which they are being treated, the type of work that they do and other activities that they engage in.
We believe that prevention is better than cure and may discuss a maintenance plan with you to help prevent recurrence, minimize degenerative changes or simply optimise your spinal health and well being.
If necessary we will give you supportive exercises to strengthen the injured area or suggest changes to your diet or lifestyle.
Free spinal health and posture check
This is a 15 min appointment. It is meant for people not quite sure whether chiropractic is the answer for them, for example, someone who may have been in pain for a long time or who has tried other therapies.
The appointment includes an informal chat about your symptoms, a simple back and posture examination and appropriate advice. There is no cost or obligation.
A lot of parents take advantage of this by having their children checked over, after they have felt the benefits for themselves.
Both our massage therapists have years and years of experience and offer one hour long sessions
There are many benefits to having a massage including:
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Aids sleep
- Promotes a sense of relaxation and well-being
Aromatherapy: The combination of massage and the qualities derived from essential oils can soothe, revitalise and may encourage positive thinking. Great for relaxation.
Swedish and Remedial massage: A variety of strokes and pressure techniques are used to get into the deeper layers of muscles.
Sports Massage: Sports massage combines general and deep tissue manipulation with various forms of stretching techniques to improve muscle health and performance. Great for improving range of movement, reduce pain, enhance athletic performance and reduce risk of re-injury.
Please note that you do not need to be a professional athlete to benefit from this type of massage….
Recreational sports people welcome!!